In the last local elections, John secured one of the highest first preference votes in both Waterford City and County. This is a powerful tribute to his hard work. John Halligan is dedicated to the people of both Waterford City and County. He does not indulge in the usual anguish, doubt and coat-turning of former socialists - John Halligan is a strong socialist, a man of conviction.
Cllr. Halligan is recognised as both a polished and effective politician but a tenacious fighter when it comes to dealing with all issues affecting the people of both Waterford City and County.
Among his activities (involving Waterford, Ireland and the world), Councillor Halligan is:-
- A member of the Regional Health Forum
- He is a member of the Primary Community and Continuing Care Committee
- Vice Chairman of the South Eastern Basin Advisory Council
- Forum Chairman of the Environmental Special Committee
- A member of Amnesty International
- A member of SIPTU
- Chairman of Ward Three Area Committee
- Vice President of the Workers’ Party of Ireland
- He is a full-time politician for the people of Waterford City and County.